Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

February 18, 2012

"Another Faust" by Daniel & Dina Nayeri

Title: Another Faust
Author: Daniel & Dina Nayeri
Publication: 2009, Candlewick Press

Summary: One night, in cities all across Europe, five children vanish — only to appear, years later, at an exclusive New York party with a strange and elegant governess. Rumor and mystery follow the Faust teenagers to the city’s most prestigious high school, where they soar to suspicious heights with the help of their benefactor’s extraordinary "gifts." But as the students claw their way up — reading minds, erasing scenes, stopping time, stealing power, seducing with artificial beauty — they start to suffer the sideeffects of their own addictions. And as they make further deals with the devil, they uncover secrets more shocking than their most unforgivable sins....read more

Review: Exploring the richness and chilling depth of this tastefully devilish book proved to be haunting and compelling. The shimmering spider web of a plot is densely yet surprisingly tactfully woven. "Another Faust" presents itself in a labyrinth-like form; each chapter holds at least 2-3 contrasting scenes, each mysterious and delightful in its own way. Clever connections to pieces of history add a sophisticated layer of icing atop this dark, chocolate-like treat. This book boasts a wonderful concoction of both artistic narrative and exciting dialogue in healthy doses, something to be highly praised in a Young Adult read. Balance is expertly handled in the diligently created characters, although not so much in terms of morals. Not recommended for younger readers. I suggest you sort out the clear line between "right" and "wrong" yourself before diving in. Scenarios are painted exceedingly well, however, and the folding and unfolding of each is done spectacularly. Links in plot lines are unable to be deciphered, and even then, there are spikes and surprises around every twist and turn. Puzzle pieces lock together perfectly to usher forth an insightful and intellectual final snapshot that will pave way gracefully for an elegant exit. Filled with enchanting darkness, readers will find "Another Faust" to be a twisted journey like one never experienced before.


Ratings: ✿✿✿ 3.5 Blossoms
Final Notes: I loved this. Although not the most entertaining, this is one of the most intellectual YA reads for me. It is NOT a lazy day book, as I've tried to comprehend some of the italic passages, and with no luck. Even so, I was surprised by the sophistication of this book. Also, while I was reading this, almost every single person peering at the cover got the impression of a vampire book XD I personally really love the cover as well. It depicts the characters truthfully, yet without breaking your personal imagination. 

Vivian 

5 comments:

  1. Finally, someone else who has read Another Faust! I'm a little obsessed with the original Faust tale; I read the play by Goethe and imagined twists I could do to the story, too. I guess that's why when I first saw the book trailer for the book, I was so excited! I bought it as soon as I could. :)

    Admittedly, the concept is great. I have a thing for the "exclusive school, rich teenagers" idea, and to have it based on an existing story gave it points. I don't think the characters were developed well enough, though; I couldn't find myself empathizing with any of them (even though that's what the author is supposed to do, and then maybe break your heart) or even wanting to know more about them. I found the chronology confusing and the writing... It didn't show the story, instead showing it. Then again, combining two different writing styles has to be difficult, right?

    Of course it's totally normal for people to have different opinions. I'm just glad there's someone who's read it, too. :) Now, question! Who was your favorite character, if any? Or is there any sort of ability/problem trade-off that any of the characters had that you'd consider having? I wanted to love Victoria but I couldn't; instead I found myself wondering if I'd so as far as Belle did, even though there was something so... revolting about what she got in exchange for beauty. Thoughts? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Awesome long comment, Kathe! Your opinion is appreciated :) I agree with what you mean about the characters! And yes, it WAS quite hard to navigate around the storyline in the right order! For me, it was frustrating at first, just a little, but I just went with it, haha, and I found that it added to the mystery!

      Mmmm... that's quite hard! For the "good" side, definitely Bice. That first time we met her, she was learning German, and I immediately felt akin to her, teehee ^^; Victoria sometimes caught my heart because I felt sorry for her, but I just really couldn't relate to Belle.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a fabulous review! I have been waiting to read this book because I can't really find a lot of reviews on it, just general I LOVE IT or I HATE IT. It looks like I will have to pick it up from the library and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the review! It's an interesting read, definitely. I can understand why people either love or hate it, though...rather, it tests your patience and there are some things that require knowledge and connections to really get..then again, that just adds to how much more fun it is when you do figure something out! Definitely not a lazy read, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. I loved this book. I completely agree, I wouldn't let the younger YA readers pick this one up. I was actually suprised at how dark this book got at times. And it really makes you think about, is it all really worth it to make that faustian bargain. Have you picked up Another Pan up yet? I just bought it but havent read it yet. And I saw there is a third one that has come out with the jekeyl/hyde theme. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!