Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

February 13, 2012

"Ruined" by Paula Morris

Title: Ruined
Author: Paula Morris
Publication: 2009, Point

Summary: Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her Aunt Claudia, who reads Tarot cards for a living. And at the snooty prep school, a pack of filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey ...read more


Review: The story unfolds nicely with enough baits dropped to keep the story flowing. Nice playing of racial themes, hierarchy, and historical happenings. Sometimes unclear, however. Characters at times need bits more development. Overall, a stunning story that brings you to a spine-chilling climax and ending, and wrapped up by a satisfying and tasteful epilogue. 


Ratings: ✿✿✿ 3.5 Blossoms
Final Notes: One of my first official YA book reviews. I remember this book quite clearly because it created such vivid imagery for me, and honestly, the build up to the climax was quite amazing. I still really love this book. If you're looking for a chilly ghost story, this one I'll definitely recommend.


Vivian 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian, I just found your blog through Book Blogs and I'm happy to read someone else's review on Ruined. Like you, the descriptions are what made me fall in love with this book, not the characters or the plot.

    If you would like, check out my review. :)

    -Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie! Thanks for reading my review!
      I'm off to check out yours! :)

      Delete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!