Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

February 26, 2012

[White Pine 2012] "Beat the Band" by Don Calame

Book #... HEY! What happened to my Book #3?! O_O
-racks brains- Oh my, I cannot believe I haven't posted my review for "The Way It Is" yet. I will definitely do that this week, and just want to say, that it is one that I will be highly recommending.

On to this review, then! Sorry for the wrong order, but here's Book #4 out of 10 of this year's White Pine 2012 Selection!! Goodreads list for the nominations HERE

 Title: Beat the Band
Author: Don Calame
Publication: 2010, Candlewick Press

Summary: In this hilarious sequel to Swim the Fly, told from Coop’s point of view, it’s the beginning of the school year, and the tenth-grade health class must work in pairs on semester-long projects. Matt and Sean get partnered up (the jerks), but Coop is matched with the infamous “Hot Dog” Helen for a presentation on safe sex. Everybody’s laughing, except for Coop, who’s convinced that the only way to escape this social death sentence is to win “The Battle of the Bands” with their group, Arnold Murphy’s Bologna Dare....read more

Review: This was a hilarious book. Usually, an average book makes me chuckle, or grin idiotically a couple times, but I was definitely shaking with laughter way more than that. From absolutely, ridiculously, tremendously funny scenarios, to the funniest conversations, "Beat the Band" will crack you up good!

If this is how an average teenage boy really is, then I'm a bit scared. However, Mr. Calame does a decent job with the characterization of his main boys, Coop, Sean, and Matt. Although Coop may seem a bit of a perverted "jerk" at first (hey, this is coming from a high school girl's point of view), he will definitely win you over as you'll see that he is soft and kind-hearted below all that, as well as perfectly able to learn his lesson and stand up for his friends (and love). I'm happy for Coop that he definitely did some maturing in this second book. 


The one thing that I didn't find too appealing as a reader, and mind you, this is quite a personal opinion, is the style of writing. Yes, there's quite the big impact of these hilarious moments in black ink, but I feel like Coop and his friends should have been a movie instead. The writing itself is almost all conversation, and therefore, besides (very) light reading, I couldn't seem to be able to take it seriously enough. 


Other than that, an okay plot, some pretty classic laughs packed in there that you'll definitely remember, and an overall good feeling by the end of it all. Good for some light reading on a lazy day. 


Rating: ✰✰✰ 3 Hilarious Hoots

Final Notes:Thanks, Mr. Calame, for making me laugh so much! I haven't read a book that's made me laugh so hard in quite a while!

Vivian

5 comments:

  1. I love it when a book affects me like that! Whether it makes me LOL or shed tears, any emotional touch is important.

    Wings of the Wicked did that to me! I actually let out a sob!

    I loved your review! Your blog is adorable, Vivian and I'm so glad you came by my blog.

    Now we're Blogger Buds!

    I'll be back...(I said that in my best Arnie voice, TeeHeez!)

    Have a great day, Chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Glad you enjoyed the review! Thank you for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. I love what you've done with the place, Vivian! And what a fantastic review. Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! Glad you approved of the review! :)

      Delete
  3. the reason it seems like it shoulda been a film is cause don calame used to be a film director or sumthg :D

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!