Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

March 5, 2012

"13 to Life" by Shannon Delany

Title: 13 to Life
Author: Shannon Delaney
Publication: 2010, St. Martin's Griffin

Summary: Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy...read more

Review: A satisfying and crunchy read, with attractive and believable characters and a fairly well-driven and addicting plot. Delaney does some great spins in creating a normal-turned-unusual world that is easy for readers to fall into. Not too subtle hints on the mythical theme were plunked for a while down the storyline. Delicious characters and juicy, interconnecting relationships make up for the mediocre plot. However, though not epic-ly outstanding, "13 to life" packs in effective frustrated moments for just the right amount of time before rewarding with another  hooking piece to the constant mystery being uncovered. Yet another alternative to your favourite werewolves read, but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyable.


Ratings: ✿✿✿ 3 Blossoms
Final Notes: This was a really great read, actually! Don't let the rating faze you, an average read for me would get a 2, so 3's more than decent! Honestly, the story was not original at all, but Shannon Delaney still makes it oh-so-satisfying with the right degree and balance of everything, so, yes, it was great. I thought I was getting my taste of Twilight, but no appearances of vampires, just team werewolves here.


Vivian

11 comments:

  1. Oohhhh, a normal turned unusual world?? That sounds SO intriguing! :) I've actually never heard of this book before, but it seems like such a mysterious and I love reading about werewolves so I definitely have to look into this! And I love how you justified your rating -- that made it really easy to understand why you rated it this way!

    Amazing review, Vivian! Deja vu or not, I'm really glad you enjoyed this book! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi! It wasn't spectacular regarding an original plot, but definitely entertaining!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately this book did little for me. Such a pity . . . but what can you do? Anyway great and honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much :(
      Thanks, though :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this one. I like the cover though. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one, but I like the eery feeling of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I'm your newest follower from Book Blogs :) Must say you have a great blog and thanks for the review!

    Here's my blog to check out... Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jussy! Thanks for visiting my blog ^_^
      I'll be sure to check out yours

      Delete
  6. My 3-stars are mostly positive too. I've had this one on muy TBR list for a while and I even have it on my reader I should get to it soon it sounds really neat!

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!