Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

March 9, 2012

Feature & Follow Friday ● #1

 *The spacing is being all weird :/
Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop hosted by Allison Can Read and Parajunkee's View.

This week's question is ~

Q: Have you ever looked at book's cover and thought, This is going to horrible? But, was instead pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.

My goodness, what a perfect opportunity to nicely "insult" the cover of one of my favourite books of 2012! We've all had that slightly negative ". . . . " impressions on our share of covers now, right? ^_^ Anyway, here's Vivi's pick for this week! I was actually going to make a separate post about this, so this was just perfectly timed!

 "The Way It Is" by Donalda Reid is my favourite White Pine 2012 book...so far, anyway, and I'm quite convinced it will be the one I'll be placing my vote for. (By the way, anyone out there also participating in White Pine? I'm more than happy to have a chat about this year's selection ^_^).

Now. This cover... looks like a usual contemporary cover, just a bit, don't you think? The plot summary was what brought me to want to read this one, but even then after checking it out, I was frowning down on that poor cover. Perhaps it was mainly due to my bad timing. It was lunch time and I had just checked out the book, settled down with it with my sandwich. Took one look at the feet and completely lost my appetite.

After reading the book (It was amazing, absolutely astounding for a White Pine book), I took a second, less biased look at the cover. The characters should be Paul with the long jeans, and Ellen with the rolled up jeans. First off, the book was set in a different time, but the girls were definitely NOT wearing jeans. Second, Paul is Aboriginal. Judging from the feet, the cover boy has light skin. Third...i-it's just sadly not so appealing for me.

What made it worse was just how good the book was itself. I felt like this cover was just quite a pity because I think the writing itself deserves so much more than this. What do you guys think of this cover? Link me up!

Read my review on "The Way It Is"

Goodreads

 Vivian


9 comments:

  1. I really hate it when a cover doesn't stay true to the story. I am a new GFC follower. Here is my FF: Mom Reads My Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday!

    Thank-you kindly for stopping by my FF :) I agree with you on this cover - not to my taste.

    Sharon @ Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad that the cover and the story don't match! It's great that the story is awesome! :)

    New follower via GFC! :)

    my follow friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. New book to me. Yeah, not the greatest of covers either. New follower :P Here's My FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is kind of a cute cover but I hate when the cover doesn't match the story. Thanks for visiting My FF and I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually not sure how I feel about the cover, kind of plain yet cute. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and getting me to 100 followers! Now hosting a giveaway if you would like to enter hop back to Alluring Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right I'm not a lot into this cover, I don"t think I would have bought it lol.

    I'm a new follower, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember doing White Pine in high school! This book sounds really awesome, so I'm going to check it out. But I agree, it's not too interesting of a cover :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hourray! A former White Pine reader! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!