Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

March 12, 2012

"Sphinx's Princess" by Esther Friesnar

Title: Sphinx's Princess
Author: Esther Friesnar
Publication: 2009, Random House Books for Young Readers

Summary: Nefertiti was far more than just a pretty face.

Nefertiti may be the dutiful daughter of a commoner, but her inquisitive mind often gets her into situations that are far from ordinary, like receiving secret lessons from a scribe. And she’s the kind of girl who acts first, and apologizes later whenever she witnesses injustice or cruelty. But she is also extraordinarily beautiful. And news of her striking beauty and impulsive behavior attracts the attention of her aunt, the manipulative Queen Tiye, who sees Nefertiti as an ideal pawn in her desire for power....read more


Review: The 3rd of the Princesses of Myth collection and the 1st depicting a dignified rendition of Nefertiti's story, Friesnar weaves a gorgeous and exotic historical treat. The characters, including Nefertiti, were carved in exquisite and vivid details. Tugging at your imagination, this brave story will keep you hooked. There are adorably amusing moments, as well as ones that draw out tears. Although the book closes with an open end, it was still a propelling and wonderfully entertaining read.

Rating: ✿✿✿ 3.5 Blossoms 
(Current Rating Average: 3.25)

Final Notes: A wonderful piece of historical fiction here, dear readers! I apologize for this short review, this one actually dates to a while back. Anyhow, I still remember how admirable this young character was, and the book itself was very well written. Wait for the review of the next book, and it will get better! Anyone aching for a bit of tasteful historical fiction, here's a good one for you!

Vivian 

15 comments:

  1. I am very interested in this book! Did I understand right, it is part of a series? I would love more info and will be adding it to my 'to read' list for sure! Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! Yes, it is! :) It's part of a big series, but the Nefertiti section only contains 2 books. There's another 2-book section, the "Nobody's Princess" one, as well as a newer one set in Japan.

      Delete
  2. It's so funny! I was looking at this one last night and I put it on hold! (I think) at the library!
    Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's awesome! Hope you enjoy it! :) If you like the first one, the second is DEFINITELY worth reading as well <3

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about this series before I'll have to check it out on Goodreads it sounds pretty neat. Different too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohhhhhh, this book sounds SO COOL!! I'm always trying to expand the types of genres I read but I've never been able to find many historical fictions books, so I'm really happy I saw your review of this one! I love books that are imaginative and I love books that are filled with adorable moments, so I know I'll enjoy this one! ;)

    Amazing review, Vivian! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful taste! This author is on my reading list for a while now and I can see that I need to read something from her very soon ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this sounds like a book I'm going to enjoy! Your review is short but I can feel that your love for this book! I read Nefertiti by Michelle Moran and it's such a good read! Nefertiti was written by Nefertiti's sister POV, so I think I'd definitely enjoy a different POV of Nefertiti's legend! I love Egypt historical fiction! Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, Vivian! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is gorgeous! I'm not big on historical fiction, generally speaking, but ancient cultures do fascinate me and I've always wanted to learn more about Nefertiti. Sounds like this would be a fun, interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about Egypt so this one is very intriguing to me. Plus the cover is just gorgeous. I didn't know this one but I'll keep this series in mind. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I've been in love with Egyptian mythology for years (and if I ever get a tattoo, I know the first I'm going to get will be one of an ankh!), Egyptian historical fiction seems like something I might like! This book looks good, too. Out of curiosity, what made you rate it a three? What didn't you like about it? I just want to know so I can get a better idea about whether I want to put this book on my to-read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathe~ it's definitely a great book, that's for sure. Now, now there! I've given it a "3.5" ^_^;, haha! Rest assured, that is an honest rating according to Vivi-Standards, which you can read about in my Review Policy, the "About My Ratings" section. To be truthful, this is more of a foundation than a stand-alone read, which is also why the following book was just SO powerful. It's a really GREAT foundation, nonetheless, so as far as my ratings go, 3.5 is MORE than decent! <3

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds actually quite interesting, I'm suprised you only gave it such an average rating... Btw, I've nominated you for an award, you can see here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the award! That's very sweet of you! <3
      Oh, haha! Please try to understand, as you'll see, I rate a lot harder than most bloggers out there, only because I've read many books that have shown how much more room there is for improvement :/ Anything above a 3/5 is more than decent!

      Delete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!