Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

March 15, 2012

"Sphinx's Queen" by Esther Friesnar

I'm so glad a lot of you were interested in this series by Ms. Friesnar, so if you were one on the maybe line, perhaps my review of the sequel would convince you that both books are worthwhile reads.

Also, I've gotten some comments regarding my rating for "Sphinx's Princess", so I want to apologize for the misunderstanding I may have caused. It was not my intention to label the book as mediocre in any way. My personal ratings are actually a tad different from most bloggers' standards, and I have seen for myself, so please don't believe my 3.5/5s to mean "average read". Instead, read it as "Above average and highly enjoyable with competitive diction, yet with a slight bit of room for improvement." Obviously, there's always room for improvement, and to be truthful, I originally rated "Sphinx's Princess" as a 4/5, but after reading the sequel (which was clearly stronger), it would go against my rating system to give "Sphinx's Queen" 5/5, because honestly, I just don't do that.(No, not even with Shannon Hale).

Sorry for going on and on~ about my ratings, if you'd like to read more, please visit my Review Policy page!
Once again, I'm very sorry for the misinterpretations and misunderstandings of my rating. 'Kay! On to the review! (Yet another stunning cover, isn't it? *o*)

 Title: Sphinx's Queen
Author: Esther Friesnar
Publication: 2010, Random House Books for Young Readers

Summary: Ancient Egypt springs to life in this enthralling sequel to Sphinx’s Princess. As she did in Nobody’s Princess and Nobody’s Prize, author Esther Friesner offers readers a fresh look at an iconic figure, blending historical fiction and mythology in a heady concoction.

Hunted . . . Overnight, every aspect of Nefertiti’s life has changed. She is no longer living at the royal...read more


Review: The sequel to "Sphinx's Princess", this wonderfully thirst-quenching continuation of the valiant Nefertiti's adventures charges on. With an ending that invoked my tears, this book made me feel as a close friend of Nefertiti's. By the conclusion of her wonderfully refreshing, yet also painfully heart-wrenching tale, one would feel the huge longing to always hold this inspiring, young female protagonist at heart. 

Through Friesnar's expert story-telling, Nefertiti guides us bravely through unbelievably torturing turmoils as she defends justice, peace, and the safety of her beloved ones. Each character in this remarkably gallant saga shines to great extents as individuals and scarily realistic people. With poise, grace, and enduring bravery and heroism, the Nefertiti Friesnar brings us will be one that deserves to be recognized and remembered. Along with the similar dignity that the author used to open this magical story, she gently closes it with amazing emotional power and courage.

I will now send Nefertiti off in the distance with her beloved, with tears and an overpowering sense of pride for her life accomplishments, as the sun slowly retires down the mountains. In ancient Egypt. 

Rating: ✿✿✿✿ 4.5 Blossoms 
(Current Rating Average: 3.07)
Final Notes: I may have mentioned before that the first book was a very nicely laid-out foundation. This second book is the absolutely astonishing pyramid itself! The build was really great without the first book falling flat, and due to the strong base, this sequel reached great heights. Honestly, I was gasping all the way through because just when you thought Nefertiti's situation couldn't get any worse... Oh boy, it does. The schemes and plots inside the plot (haha) were so sly and well sorted out, that it was quite shocking, really. The best thing? How strong Nefertiti is. She will definitely be a heroine I will not forget, just because through whatever crisis she is thrown in, she never loses her wisdom and own strong sense of justice. She is brilliantly admirable.

Vivian 

11 comments:

  1. I read this review and the review for Sphinx's Princess and I have to say that these books look awesome! Thank you for opening my eye to them. I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, YAY! I love it when you love a sequel so much more than the first book -- that's exactly the way it should be! Vivi, you sure know how to get a girl excited for a genre she hadn't really thought much of before. x) Nefertiti not only have an awesome name, but it sounds like she's really kick-butt too! ;)

    Amazing review, Vivian! <3 And don't worry about the rating issue! For me, it usually matters more about the points included in the review rather than the number of stars (unless it's really low!)! And it sounds like you really enjoyed this to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that Mimi!! ^-^ I'm glad that was in my capabilities, haha! Sure, historical fiction may not be everyone's favourite flavour, but these books are definitely worth reading as books. ;)

      Delete
  3. Well I definitely love the covers of this series! I really have to check out the first book it sounds pretty awesome! I don't read a lot of historicals but it does sound worth it. Great review chicky! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They really are gorgeous, aren't they *o* Thanks, Giselle!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, if I made you a little stressed because of my asking about your rating, I'm sorry! Thank you for clarifying, anyway. :) If it helps, yes, Sphinx's Queen looks more interesting than Sphinx's Princess, and to read the second book I have to get through the first, so... Yeah, both the books are now definitely on my to-read list. I'm excited! It's not often i find out that the sequel to a book is better than the first. :)

    Thank you for sharing, especially since it's Women's History Month and I need to read about more strong heroines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Daw, don't worry about it! It is my fault for giving the wrong impressions :( Women's History Month?! God, I feel so embarrassed I didn't know that! O/////O Well, this is definitely one strong heroine that you'll admire! <3

      Delete
  5. I didn't know this one either but I love the cover you're righe. The synopsis sounds very intriguing and your review really nice! Thanks for this great review, I need to check it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This and Sphinx's Princess look amazing! I love Ancient Egypt and all its history!

    Btw, I love your blog so I've named you as one of the winner's of a blog award! Check out the post here :)
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog...love the header and your side panels.

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Found you on Book Blogs.

    Stop by my blog if you like for a book giveaway: THE DEMOCRAT by Olly Wyatt.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/03/e-book-giveaway.html

    Elizabeth

    Silver's Reviews

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!