Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 23, 2012

"Born Wicked" by Jessica Spotswood



[Clickey the lovely cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Publication: 2012, Rutnam Juvenile

Summary: Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction
. ...read more


Review: This fantastically captivating read left me breathless and gasping for more!!! Set in a beautifully crafted setting, "Born Wicked" pulls the curtains apart with a dramatic and elegant swish on a tastefully written yet heart-stopping tale. 


Cate and her sisters are wonderfully animated characters and Ms. Spotswood's diction truly brings them to life, lifting them successfully from the pages and painting them 3D! The Victorian atmosphere is captured perfectly with gorgeous refinement and taste. Along with the characters, the author has presented a very believable tale, although the main plot is set deep in magical roots. 


The relationships between the characters are definitely one of the best aspects of this book for me. I loved Cate for Cate and fell hard along with her in her feelings for Finn (who is just so sweet!) This is a richly coloured romance that starts out as an ordinary spark, but turns into a dangerous sizzle, and finally to an explosion of fireworks with much passion! 


However, as delicious as the romance is, this book still thrives strongly on other themes as well. This novel will inspire you as a reader with the strong will, bravery, loyalty and love of its characters as they tumble through an enthralling and ground-shaking story.


Ratings: ✰✰✰✰ 4.5 Swooning Hoots

Final Notes: Another old review from the time of my hiatus. This was really an amazing read for me, especially since I really love a good witch-y book!!! The magic factor wasn't blown up artificially or anything, and therefore it was all very believable. Also, Finn has a major swoon-factor. I remember reading this book, and having Cate and Finn stuck in my mind for at least a week after! I think it's safe to say that for those of you who have yet to read it, you'll most likely enjoy it!

Thanks for reading!
Vivian

24 comments:

  1. I haven't really read much witch-y books but this book looks like a good place to start! And I'm glad to hear that there's a swoon-worthy love interest! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, thanks for the brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This book sounds really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, so now I really should get this :) It's been a while since I've read a witchy book, and I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Victorian atmosphere" ohh, I really love books with such a feeling! <3 Those periods are fascinating. I love that the relationships are such a great aspect of this book! That's something I like :D And a good witch book (L) I'm going to read this one as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rachel - swoon-worthy doesn't do Finn enough justice, I think...

    Thanks Miranda, Aleksandra!

    @Mel - oh, you'll definitely like it! Vivi's positive!!! go hunt down a copy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard NOTHING but amazing-ness about this book, and you've just added to that!

    What a beautiful review, Vivian!! Finn just sounds completely lust-worthy.<3 And Cate sounds awesome!

    Thanks for a wonderful review.(: Btw, I just followed via GFC and Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been contemplating this book for a long time. I love witch books but I'm not much of a historical reader. I prefer books set in the present or future. I am curious to learn more about Cate and her sisters and of course I love a swoon worthy romance. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous review Vivian!
    I got this from my library a while back but never actually got around to reading it--looks like I'll have to go get it again if it's that good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review Vivian! I love how you described the romance between Cate and Finn! New follower :0

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAYYYYY! YOU LOVED IT!<3 Awwwww I'm SO glad you enjoyed this :D I absolutely LOVED the relationships in this book as well - I loved her interactions with her sisters :) AND FINN! Oh gosh, LOVE that guy :P Anyway, FABULOUS review Vivian!

    P.S YOU LIKE ASH TOO?!?! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG MEEE TOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad you enjoyed it, I can't wait to start it. I have to read it but just need more time lol. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome review! I haven't read this one yet but it sounds fabulous! The characters and relationships sound so engaging. I really enjoy books about witches too so this may be one for me! Thanks for sharing!


    Following your blog! Feel free to visit my blog.
    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been meaning to read this one since it came out and I never took the time. It sounds amazing with fabulous characters! Witches are also one of my top paranormal books so I really should try this out soon! Great review, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! You just got me very excited to read this one, Vivian! <3 This book has such beautiful cover and I'm really interested about the setting too! I really enjoy historical fiction, so seems like I need to run and get this book for myself ASAP! x) Plus, witches? How I wish I were witches! :P (beside my usual daydreaming of being vampire, of course...)

    Amazing review like always, Vivi!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vivian, I just wanted to let you know I've tagged you in this post: http://theyabookworm.blogspot.ca/2012/07/would-you-rather-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I checked this out of the library the other day! I almost forgot about it, so so glad you loved it! Extremely excited to read it now. (: Oh and I hope you don't mind but I tagged you in a Would You Rather tag!
    http://cheerfulreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/would-you-rather-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, why does this always happen to me. LOL. You don't have to do mine, sorry didnt see you were already tagged !

      Delete
  17. I fell in love with this book as soon as I saw the cover. Then I read so not so crazy reviews about it and I was a bit let down. Now, you sparked my interest again with your exciting review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Gina! go give it a try ^_^

      Delete
  18. I've heard great this about this book. I've also heard some people don't like it. Glad that it worked for you. I love books that bring stories and characters to life.

    BTW...thanks for clearing things up regarding the "charm" on Skip Beat. I've actually read up through Volume 24 now so I'm ahead of my reviewing schedule. So I understand the significance, but it sure took a long time to be clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome ^_^ and yeah...it does take awhile...to be honest, I watched the anime first, and it was cleared up much faster XD

      Delete
  19. I really liked the innocent love story in the book, but I honestly didn't care much for the actual story. I think it moved a bit slow for me, but may continue it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely can't wait to read this! Sounds very interesting! New follower!

    ~Kendra Malcom
    www.whilebayingatthemoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to read this one. I met Jennifer too and she is just as sweet and funny as can be! Great review

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!