Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 3, 2012

"Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins

Time for Book #2! Sorry for the delay! Summer-time studying is harsh, and I'd better get myself rolling on those SAT words before it's too late in the Fall -tired face- Anyway, I was super happy to read all the lovely comments on my review for the first book, so I hope you'll enjoy this review as well!!!

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication: 2009, Scholastic Inc.

Summary: Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol-- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create....read more


Review:

The second book  in a trilogy should extend, bridge and build, and "Catching Fire" manages to achieve that and some more. Not losing the sacred momentum so well laid by the first book, this sequel pushes through the palpable sky to somewhere in the beyond. 

Abundant in ridiculously shocking surprises, "Catching Fire" soars and dances to and from many settings, some familiar and some not. The flames build nicely from some of the first book's wood, enough to keep readers oriented, but not as much that is repetitive. 

Collins has achieved an admirable balance in literary ingredients here. Added to the fiery mix are new characters that prove to be effective and skillful in swaying the plot to reach an exciting peak. A terribly smart and bolstering bridge that climbs even higher, "Catching Fire" will keep you hooked just as well as "The Hunger Games".

However, it is unfortunate that the end is a tad choppy and messy and deteriorated the feeling of the entire book, slowing down the possible final propelling wind toward "Mockingjay". Nevertheless, still a heart-racing and utterly entertaining sequel that can steal your breath and leave you hanging in mid-air for the finale.

Rating: ✿✿✿✿ 4/5 Blossoms

Final Notes:  I remember enjoying this (almost) just as much as the first book. I think it was really great how Ms. Collins brought the epic arena back, but altered it so smartly that it was not at all repetitive or boring for the second time around. For someone wanting more after "The Hunger Games", this one doesn't disappoint for the most part.
♡ Vivian
 

15 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I loved Catching Fire. Maybe more than any other in the series. I particularly liked Finnick. What did you think of him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Finnick! he actually turned out to be an extremely well-developed character, especially stretching into Mockingjay. He actually had great depth <3

      Delete
  2. I think one of my FAVOURITE parts of this book was how Suzanne Collins recreated the arena too! The whole idea of it is amazing on its own, but the clock idea? The complexity and the timing and the pin and the horrors? She executed it all so amazingly! Plus, she definitely knows how to find the perfect balance of awesome in all of her books. There were so many things I didn't expect to happen!

    Amazingly beautiful review, Vivi! I can't wait to read your review for the third one too :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved getting to know all the old tributes! Must reread this one when I get a chance really. Great job on the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you liked Catching Fire! I don’t remember the end being choppy, but then again I was so enchanted by The Hunger Games series the first time I read them that I was devouring them like candy! Excellent review!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the ending is a bit messy! I was really dissatisfied with the ending, it seems a bit narrative-like for me! But the rest of the book? Pure awesomeness! <3 Oh my gosh, they have Finnick! Finnick! Finnick! Er... sorry, I think I need to contain my undying love to Finnick for other day. :P

    Lovely review like always, Vivi-dear! x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not the only one, Hilda -pat pat-

      Delete
  6. This was definitely my favorite book in the series! Because FINNICK is introduced and my oh my, I loved him! :D Second favourite character in these books (Haymith is the first :p)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. + I loved the whole area! This was what I expected: a real tough area with all these creepy things going on.

      Delete
  7. Glad that you enjoyed this book. I'm not a huge fan of this series, but I am definitely the minority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's totally fine, Kristina! ^_^ I like honesty, and to repay you for your honesty with a piece of Vivi-honesty, I'm not a huge fan of ever popular "Tempest". or "Blood Red Road". -please don't kill me, everyone.-

      Delete
    2. My son enticed me to read this series, I was reluctant at first, glad he persuaded me in the end. I felt like this book was too similar to the first book. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first. The strange and controversial stuff starts in the final book.

      Delete
  8. Great: glad you enjoyed it, I need to read this one, really! mainly after the movie. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear I bet you get you only get A+ in your Eng classes!! Dude! love your writing! you could give me some tricks!
    Btw, I totally agree with you that Catching Fire seemed a bit repetitive, but regardless that, the unfolding of this book was totally epic!

    take care my dear ^.^ muah!!


    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished The Hunger Games, and can't wait to get on to this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!