Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 27, 2012

Feature & Follow #6

Feature & Follow is a Friday meme created and hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read! Answer a feature question, make new friends and gain new followers!

Q: Summer reading. What was your favourite book that you were REQUIRED to read when you were in school?


Grade 8 Vivi says, "The Giver" by Lois Lowry

This was a chilling book. Perhaps you guys would think differently but at that time I was 13 and it creeped me out big time, but I still really liked it!

Grade 11 Vivi #1 says, "Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures" by Vincent Lam

Best high school mandatory read for me so far. Very glad that I was required to read this one, since it's not something I'd usually read, but I'd recommend this one! Trust me, medical stories are faaaaaar from my taste, but I still loved this. It's compelling, very well written, and each small segment offers a special something.

Grade 11 Vivi #2 says, "The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides

There's a movie for this one! This book I chose for my final English assignment out of a selection. And it was absolutely amazing. No kidding. If you're going to watch the movie, read the book first because the film represents the book quite well in essence and you'll appreciate both more!

-looks back- Okay. Now that I look at it this way, all three of these were pretty heavy, depressing reads. >_< -sigh-

What did you enjoy reading during school? Link me up and I'll be hopping! 

12 comments:

  1. Oh, The Giver does sound amazing!!!

    I'm a new gfc follower.

    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/07/ff-feature-and-follow-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The works of Shakespeare <3
    Stefan Brijs - De engelenmaker (in Dutch, for you guys it's 'The angel maker') and Bernlef - Hersenschimmen (there is no English version from this one)
    Those were definitely some of my favorites. I especially liked the books we had to read for English :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you had different answers for when you were in different grades!! I must say, I think my favorite book that I read in school was And then There Were None. It was such a chilling mystery!! Too bad someone spoiled the ending for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love it if we were required to read creepy books for school! We don't really get anything good... Last year our English class read Fahrenheit 451, and even though I know a LOT of people like it, it's safe to say our class weren't fans!
    Already following your lovely blog, of course! ;Dq

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think about The Giver! It's excellent. I remember in 8th grade we read it. We were only suppose to read so far in it but I couldn't stop and finished the book weeks before we were supposed to. I'm sure the teacher wasn't happy with me but I did love the book.

    My follow friday! Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Giver is a popular one! Thanks for sharing.

    Following! Feel free to visit my blog.
    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read any of them--though some of my friends did read The Giver for a class. The Virgin Suicides does sound interesting though...albeit a tad disconcerting!

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of them except for The Giver! I'll definitely check out the other 2 though. (:
    Heres mine!
    http://cheerfulreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/feature-follow-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopping through. The Giver is one of my all time favorite books.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you enjoyed some required reading! I can only think of the Great Gatsby in gr. 10 which wasn't too bad...I never did get to read The Giver sadly! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I didn't know these ones at all, but it sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Hopping on through from the feature and follow!
    New Buddy, Please…. Cyber stalk me back@ http://dawnandwinniebookreviews.blogspot.com
    
OH! My Summer Read was…Things Fall Apart By Chinua Achebe (Author) it was interesting ☺
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!