Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 4, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday #1

Weigh in Wednesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by Lauren @ Epilogue. It features a topic in which each blogger can share their opinions on.

This will be Vivi's first weigh-in! Very excited, especially since the topic for this week is....-drum rooooll!!!-

FAIRYTALE RETELLING VS. THE ORIGINAL FAIRYTALE

First off, I'm a rather traditional person deep down. Therefore, I read all my classics, read all the original fairytales in their original written form (I even read the Brothers Grimm in the old-fashioned, unaltered German text.Great for my German studies, and also downright hardcore for the original fairytale. For those of you who haven't dabbed on the original, goodness...you have NO idea how gruesome the story of Snow White really is. O_O It was scary...)

Anyway, back on topic. Even though I fall for the traditional things, I really enjoy a well-written retelling or adaptation. Mainly because nowadays, the original seems just like an obligatory read, and as much as I enjoy them, sometimes it's just not grasping enough. Retellings can be tailored very well to suit the appeal of a modern day young adult audience, and that is probably why I fall so hard for retellings.

Overall, if I had to sum it up, the retelling side would win! Not by a lot, but it would still win.  
Do you guys have any amazing fairytale retellings you could share? ^_^

♡ Vivian

10 comments:

  1. I am a new follower, I do another kind of Wed post, found your link in one of them, but can't find the www or wow, so posting here, If you want to see my Wed stuff here is the link. WWW & WOW Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like retellings. I don't read too many of them but I like a fresh spin on an old idea. Sometimes it doesn't work for me but sometimes it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I really like retellings and the unique twists that can be put on them that make it like a brand new story. For example, Cinder! That book is so unique but has the same basic story of Cinderella.

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like retelling because it is fun to see twist and references to the original material. I haven't read any originals but from what I've read on wikipedia they all seem a bit gruesome. I'm not big on reading classics but maybe I will give one fairytale a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, the original fairy tales are very hardcore bedtime stories, aren't they? Nothing you'd read to a child nowadays! But I agree with you and Jennifer, I really enjoy the new angles to the worn down stories, and there are really some good retellings out there! I was told the books by Zoe Marriott made good retellings. I only read Shadows on the Moon by her which I enjoyed imensly although this wasn't a retelling. Unless you view it as the YA-mystical version of Memoirs of a Geisha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both, as for amazing retellings - have you watched the mini series The 10th Kingdom - if you haven't, you should :) not a book, but still awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mostly like retellings - it's always fun to see the world you have known for so long through another's eyes. Oh, and the original Cinderella was pretty gruesome too, wasn't it?

    New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely like retellings more. I love seeing a new twist on fairy tales! Although, I do think the original fairy tales can be interesting to read about as well. I haven't read the original Snow White yet, but now I definitely will!! I can't believe that it's gruesome. The Disney movie was gruesome at all...

    Anyways, love your weigh in, Vivian! It was so much fun to read about your answer and your reasoning why. =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love retellings but it's bc there are a LOT of fairy tales I never read as a child (I was more into creepy books lol) so I'm getting the story but modernized :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fairytales and I don't care if they are original or modern :p Haha, I just love them <3 but I have to say that the main characters are much more kick ass in the retellings and I think I like that more! There is less instant-love and more real story to it ^^ But the magical style is captured and that's important to me (L)

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!