Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

August 13, 2012

"Never Enough" by Denise Jaden

[Clickey the lovely cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Never Enough
Author: Denise Jaden
Publication: 2012, Simon Pulse
Summary: From the author of Losing Faith, a novel about two sisters and the eating disorder that threatens to destroy their family.

Loann’s always wanted to be popular and pretty like her sister, Claire. So when Claire’s ex-boyfriend starts flirting with her, Loann is willing to do whatever it takes to feel special… even if that means betraying her sister.

But as Loann slips inside Claire’s world, she discovers that everything is not as it seems
...read more 


Review: Told from the beautifully honest and realistic voice of plain Loann (No middle name) Rochester, "Never Enough" will swell up to fill your heart with a bittersweet story of family, friendship, love, and the ultimate image of true beauty. Loann's narration is downright average, but as the book goes on, it reveals a compelling contemporary tale that will win you over in the end. 

The characters are quite realistic so to be honest, completely average (seeming) Loann did not bind me to her story at the beginning. However, as the book expands in cast, you'll meet intriguing Marcu and start discovering the hidden shining star in Loann. The plotline itself is not very unique and I was a bit disappointed as the full storyline was being uncovered, but by then, I was too deep in these nicely brought to life characters' grasps to truly be put down by it.

The main relationship between Loann and Marcus is just so sweet and it was heart warming-ly rewarding in the end since Ms. Jaden did a wonderful job of developing the friendship in a slow yet intricate manner. The world of "Never Enough"  is effectively set and very relatable but this book's overall jems would be the strong and convincing characters. 

One really admirable and surprisingly well done effect of Loann's narration is its way of swaying your emotions to the tale. The nitty-gritty of Loann's and Shayleen's relationship was a huge annoyance to me at first, just like how Loann felt negatively about it as well. As our main heroine grows and matures, she slowly thinks less of the incidents between her and Shayleen, and incidentally, I felt less annoyed by them as a reader as well. 

"Never Enough" is a great contemporary read that really brings to life a message worth sharing. It will touch your heart and bring you a memorable story that uncovers the true and dangerously raw beauty of a person's life. 

Ratings: ✰✰✰✰ 4 Sweet Hoots

Final Notes: I don't usually read contemporaries because sometimes, being  high school student offers enough realistic dramas and emotionally weaker Vivi just doesn't like to have more of that added on >_< This was definitely a more than decent and very enjoyable contemporary read! It unfolded super nicely and leaves you perfectly satisfied with that bloated feeling in your chest.

Thanks for reading!
Vivian

19 comments:

  1. Wow, this book seems to have awesome casts of characters! I'm very happy that Loann grows a lot throughout the story! I love it when the heroine becomes mature and reaches conclusion in the end. <3

    Amazing review, Vivi! <3 I'm glad that you really enjoyed this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Viviannn! I love the cover, and have been seeing this around a lot! I'm glad you liked it & I can't wait to read it. C:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love contemporaries and I've been seeing this book everywhere! Glad to know you liked it! I'll have to check it out sometime.
    Fabulous review as always Vivian!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contemporary books are not the sort I would usually go for either, but this one sounds great. Fantastic review, Vivian! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I hope I can meet Marcus and Loann soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contemporary books are actually one of my favorite genres in YA. I think I love them so much because I can always find some way to relate to them from characters to situations etc. Anyhow, this one sounds really good! Marcus and Loann sound like really great characters...ones I would love reading about. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Vivian! I really enjoyed this novel and think that the progression between Loann and Marcus was spot on as well. I was so weirded out by him at first, I'll admit LOL I knew there was something...off there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've had my eyes on this book for a while and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I actually really like Contemporary so I'm really looking forward to reading this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds awesome! At first I was a little iffy about reading it, but your review definitely prompted me to get myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Awesome review!! I don't read a lot of contemporaries either so I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one!!! The cover is lovely and the characters really do seem super realistic! I really need to look into this one :-) Thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful review! This looks really good! Contemporary isn't one of my usual genres, but I've started to lean a litle more toward it! This really does look like a touching read - thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loann and Marcus sound like such great characters! I just added Never Enough to my TBR. I love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again: a book I've been checking out for a while now :D I don't know how you do it every time. I'm glad that you liked this book, because that will mean that I probably going to like it to. I don't read a lot of books about these subjects (sometimes, real life is hard enough :p), but after seeing some positive reviews, I'm really interested in this one. Thanks for the awesome review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful review. I, too, am not a big contemporary reader, but there have been some recent ones that have knocked my socks off. This one sounds like a great read and I'm glad that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I love the cover for this one! I actually rather enjoy contemporary :P so I'll be picking this up soon!
    Great review! (x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome review! The girl on the cover is sooo pretty, I think I'll never get tired of staring at her. Though I also know from experience that pretty covers like that have characters with great tendency to become annoying, am I not right? That's why I was reluctant to buy this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think I'll just print the cover and stick it on my wall so I could stare at it forever lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen this book before but never actually got the chance to read it! I love the cover too, the girl is so pretty! Loann and Marcus' relationship sounds really sweet and romantic so I absolutely can't wait to read their story! And aww, I actually love love love contemporary! I love it just as much as other genres ;)

    Anyway, awesome review, Vivi! ♥ SO glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful Review!!!!! This book wasn't on my radar but now it is! And.. I also didn't like reading High School books when I was still there, but now with being a little older its nice to look back:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL I love how you mentioned you don't like reading contemporary books because high school offers enough drama as it is :) But for meee....being in an all-girls school really deprives me of the usual drama that happens during the teenage years :S Anywayyyy I'm so glad you found this enjoyablee! I'll definitely have to check it out one day :) Fantastic review Viv!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a lot of drama and a sad sister relationship. I love realistic characters and a nice slow romance build. I didn't really read YA when I was younger for the same reason but now that I am out of high school I like to go back through reading! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!