Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

August 1, 2012

[Tour Stop] "Dark Genesis" by A. D. Koboah


Hello everyone ^_^ ! Today, A. D. Koboah's paranormal romance "Dark Genesis" is stopping by for its book tour here at Vivaciously, Vivian! I present you the gorgeous cover of "Dark Genesis" and an intriguing excerpt! Enjoy~ 

●     ●     ●     ●      ●

[Clickey the beautiful cover for Goodreads!]

Title: "Dark Genesis" (The Darkling Trilogy #1)
Author: A. D. Koboah
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Format: eBook

Summary: Life for a female slave is one of hardship and unspeakable sorrow, something Luna knows only too well. But not even she could have foreseen the terror that would befall her one sultry Mississippi evening in the summer of 1807.
On her way back from a visit to see the African woman, a witch who has the herbs Luna needs to rid her of her abusive master’s child, she attracts the attention of a deadly being that lusts for blood. Forcibly removed from everything she knows by this tormented otherworldly creature, she is sure she will be dead by sunrise.
Dark Genesis is a love story set against the savage world of slavery in which a young woman who has been dehumanised by its horrors finds the courage to love, and in doing so, reclaims her humanity. 

●     ●     ●     ●      ●

About the author: 

A.D. Koboah was born in London and completed an English Literature degree in 2000. Her first novel, Dark Genesis, was inspired by the concept of dehumanisation and the impact it can have on the psyche. She is currently working on a screenplay and will begin the sequel to Dark Genesis shortly. 

Website | AmazonAmazon.co.ukSmashwordsGoodreads 

 ●     ●     ●     ●      ●

Excerpt: 

“Dance with me,” he had said in a soft, silky voice.
I remained where I was, my face a blank mask but rage no doubt burning behind my eyes. I may not have had a say over his nocturnal visits, but I would not play these little games or pretend that I wanted him in my wretched little cabin.
Fast, so fast that I didn’t have time to protect myself, he raised his hand and slapped me, sending me crashing to the floor. Pain bloomed along my temple and the left side of my face. I had also bitten my lip when I hit my head. His foot came down on my neck and I felt the dirt on the sole of his boot rubbing into my skin as he pressed down, cutting off my air supply. I struggled in vain to breathe and was close to losing consciousness when he slowly removed his foot and hauled me back onto my feet as if he were picking up a sack of potatoes. Then he held out his arms again, that smile, which never seemed to leave his face, swimming before my eyes as I struggled to clear my vision. 

I was bristling with anger and yet fear won out because he could do anything he wanted to me and there was nothing I would be able to do to stop him. No one I could go to for protection. I had been born and bred purely for men like him, not only to do with as they pleased, but to increase their riches by breeding more slaves for them to own.
“Dance with me,” he said again.
Tasting blood in my mouth, I did as I was ordered to do.
“Massa Henry used to please hisself and leave,” I told Mama Akosua. “But Massa John... he like to play.”
I sensed rather than saw her rage.
I had led a relatively painless existence, for a slave, up until around the age of eight or nine when Master Henry had sent me on an errand to one of the neighbouring farms, an errand which would take me through the woods. I had run eagerly out of the house, hardly believing the good fortune that meant I could spend most of the morning walking through the woods instead of working. And it was the perfect day for a long walk, a beautiful spring day. The air was crisp and cool and the sun filtering through the fresh green leaves created patches of golden haze for me to walk through. I skipped along carefree and untouched at that time by the burdens of a female slave, deviating from my path only once to chase a squirrel, losing it moments later when it darted up a tree and out of sight.
It wasn’t long before I came to a stream winding its way through the trees directly in my path and saw Master Henry on his horse. I froze straight away but wasn’t immediately frightened as it seemed his face lit up with the kind of excitement you would expect to see on the face of a man on a long quest for buried treasure at the moment he finally finds it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow! *shiver* This book sounds very interesting, Vivian! I think I've already felt bad for Luna! It must be very nightmarish to live as a slave. I can't even imagine how hard her life could be! I can't believe that the guy slapped her - abusive guy is the lowest! x(

    Anyway, thank you for bringing this book to my attention, Vivian! <3 I'm really intrigued by the excerpt!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us ^^ The excerpt sounds great and I like the dark cover. Being a slave.. horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian

    Thanks for featuring my novel Dark Genesis. I’m glad you guys like the cover. My cover artist Ronnell Porter is a bit of a genius 

    A D Koboah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooooh I want to read this now!!! *0*
    I mean, it definitely sounds a bit dark, but so SO good!
    AND THAT COVER! <3 <3
    Thanks for sharing Vivian! This is definitely going on my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo! This book sounds really interesting! The cover's artwork is also GORGEOUS! Plus, the excerpt makes me really interested in reading the book!

    Thank you for sharing this awesome post with us, Vivian! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Wow. That cover is beautiful. and I love the excerpt. Must check this book out NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks really good - such a pretty cover too! And I feel so sorry for the main character and hate that 'Master' already! :O

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!