Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

September 9, 2012

"The Immortal Rules" by Julie Kagawa

[Clickey the awesome cover for Goodreads!]

Title: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publication: 2012, Harlequin Teen
Summary: "In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad
....read more


Review: Blood-thirsty, unrelenting and sinister is this new dystopian world created by Julie. Here, the humans hang on to their lives and the few remaining pieces of humanity, all by a dangerously thin thread as they attempt at co-existing with vampires and the more recently created monsters, the rabids. With one glance, I first thought that Julie's dystopian setting looked very typical. However, take a closer look and one will find that certain details have fashioned New Covington and beyond into an especially dark landscape complete with an atmosphere that will shock readers who have come from the brighter (in comparison) tone of The Iron Fey (well, I was a bit shocked, anyway XD....)

"The Immortal Rules" will grip you like starving hunger and offer a scary clarity of the dreary mindset of people living in Julie's latest world. The morbid creatures and dynamic cast of characters were fantastic. Allison, "Allie", offers us a POV that has volume, precision, and emotional contrast. She is a heroine who, although isn't social or brightly optimistic, is easy for readers to draw close to and keep up with. She is surrounded by a vast range of supporting characters, some more likeable and others less than others -coughRuthcough-, but each in their own right dimensional, realistic, and never flat. 

The layout of the novel is split into 4 appropriately titled "Parts" and the pacing was even, engaging and entertaining. Though I would not call the propelling of this book, however quick it was, exactly intense, but the vivid characters, the world-building, and the fiery tonality of "The Immortal Rules" definitely was. If this series were to grow with future installments, then I'm sure it will become something incredibly astounding and amazing! To put this book alongside other YA vampire reads, Julie's novel will stand absolutely strong and impressive with its pitch dark atmosphere and hard-to-forget characters.My favourite YA vampire read so far!

Rating: ✰✰✰✰ 4.5 "Allie!" Hoots

Final Notes: As far as vampire reads go, Julie's rendering is a fantastic one and I really liked it! It had everything from realistic feel to an epic heroine to romance to kick-butt action. It was a bit hard to remember that this was Julie, of the fey and dear Meghan and Puck and Ash, who wrote this book but it definitely did not distract me because she pulled it off the dark side really well.

Fans of The Iron Fey and any vampire fans should definitely buy a copy of this one! I smell a mind-blowing new series being brewed here!

Review #1 of Vivi's Hiatus Collection!

Thanks for reading!
Vivian

10 comments:

  1. I LOVED this one!! I can't wait for the next one! I loved Allie and how strong she was and how hard she fought to be good. Zeke was amazing as well swoon and I want to get to know Kanin more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVED and ADORED this one, so much, I had to put those words in capital :') I fell in love with vampires all over again. They were so awesome and scary. Allie was one of the best characters I've met this year and Kanin *swoon*, although Zeke is cute as well ^^ Great review Viv and I'm glad with your first post from the hiatus collection. Can't wait for more dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you enjoyed it as well! I really liked this book and the ideas in it. Can't wait to know more. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie Kagawa has really worked her magic in this one! I'm so glad you liked it! Fantabulous review as always Vivi, and I can't wait to read more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE IMMORTAL RULES! JULIE KAGAWA! I love her and her books so much. This one was definitely interesting and even though vampires are common in the world of YA, Julie's take on vampires are different and AMAZING. Allie is such an awesome heroine and I can't wait for the sequel ;)

    Awesome review, Vivi! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book would probably have to be my favourite book from Julie Kagawa, so I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Dying for the sequel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Vivian! I agree, if the the next few books are even better, then this series is sure to be amazing! I can't wait for the next instalment. Brilliant review, Vivian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I've been curious about this book and I think I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Immortal Rules. It is such a different take on vampires. The only part that I didn't like was how slow Allie is to respond when she realizes that Kanin is in danger. I can't wait for the next one!

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you loved it! Great review, Vivian.

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!