Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

January 2, 2013

"Hourglass" by Myra McEntire

[Clickey the lovely cover for Goodreads!]
Title: Hourglass (Hourglass #1)
Author: Myra McEntire
Publication: 2011, Egmont USA

Summary: One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back....read more


Review: This spunky time-travel read is fabricated on an imaginative backdrop and topped off with engaging characters and overall, a great and driven plotline. Emerson is a girl scarred with tragedy who sees shades of the past all around her and is bothered and an outcast because of that specialty. Her caring brother does everything he could to find persons who might be able to help cure Emerson of her visions, and that is ultimately how she meets the man who opens a whole new world to her: one that she can belong in. 

Emerson Cole: a strong and sometimes even overwhelming protagonist that made this debut novel take on a bold  and often sarcastic tone. She starts out a broken and insecure soul but soon allows herself to accept her abilities of time and to contribute to the conflict of the story. Emerson is an admirably brave and stoic character and I really enjoyed her snarky attitude and dripping sarcasm and to be honest, it was what won me over to her side in the beginning. However, as the book rolled on, the act became a bit old and I felt that it didn't have the same powerful effect in the last quarter. Unfortunately, she lost me a bit somewhere in the second half. The other solid characters surrounding Emerson, including the dashing and handsome Michael of course, made up for that and overall, this book's entire cast is vibrant and well-rounded. 

The way Ms. McEntire formed the concept of time travel was unique and interesting, complete with fragments of different time periods appearing here and there. Emerson's special ability is well adapted into the diction and I felt the experienced incidents vividly alongside her. Everything about "Hourglass" felt wonderfully realistic and close by to me as a reader and I really enjoyed that. 

This book was fast-paced starting after Emerson clicks with the main conflict of the plot and everything afterwards flows nicely. There were fantastic twists that had me completely fooled and absolutely shocked once and the final climax was emotionally intense and thrilling. In the end, "Hourglass" was an entertaining and quick-paced ride with a great new outlook at sci-fi time manipulation and a gripping, well thought-out story.

A Favourite Moment: "When I finally regained control, I gave him a sweet smile and reached out to shake. Then I flipped him over my shoulder. As he lay on the ground panting, I walked to stand over him, looking down, my smile still in place. "So I'll see you later?" He blinked once. I took that as a yes....I felt great. The sass was back. It's amazing what flipping a grown man over her shoulder does for a girl."

Rating: ✰✰✰ 3.5 Rippling Hoots

Final Notes: I think I went into reading this book with way too high of an expectation which probably became reason #1 that I didn't enjoy it as much as a 4-star-and-up book. Reason #2 would sadly be that I'm not one to really enjoy science fiction of any form, including time travel. 

With that being said, if you do like time travel, this is definitely a fantastic novel to read! It's different, fun, hilarious, and romantic in all the right places.
 
Thanks for reading!
Vivian

11 comments:

  1. Vivian, I've missed you!!! Happy New Year!!!

    I've seen Hourglass here and there before but never really paid it much attention but I'm intrigued now! It sounds really fascinating and I'm glad there were loads of twists to keep you entertained! Shame about the character though - it's hard to get in a book when the protagonist isn't easy to relate to :(

    Thanks for the fantastic review, Vi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sarcastic characters so Emerson sounds like one I would def. click with, but its too bad that it becomes a little over the top after a while. I have to have substance, too, to go with the snark. I have seen so many reviews on this book and series but I haven't read it yet for a reason unknown >.< Lovely review, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy NEw YEar :)
    Lovely review as usual
    I only read once about time travel and it didn't work but I love the cover so maybe I give it a try!


    Ruty @Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOunds like I would connect with Vivian! I need to make time for this one, esp after this reivew.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only ever read two time travel books. One I didn't like, the other I did... So I have a love/hate relationship with them... But I do recommend giving sci-fi one more go with Across The Universe by Beth Revis - if you haven't read it already! It's ah-mazing! xD

    Brilliant review! It's a shame you didn't enjoy it well enough to give it four stars or up though. :( Ooooh, a sarcastic main character? Yay! xD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, thought I'd let you know I'm not quitting blogging or anything! On one of my posts I don't know if you got the wrong impression from the title, hehe... just incase you did, I thought I should let you know! >.<

      Sorry for commenting again! :P xx

      Delete
  6. Emerson seems like a cool, snarky character! I LOVE sarcastic characters but it sucks that it became too much after a while. >.< This is like the tenth review I've seen of this book, it's like the universe is telling me I need to read it! :P Anyway, lovely review Vivian-doll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever read one time travel book - "The Time Traveler's Wife" and I loved that book so freaking hard! This one sounds way different though, but I'm always up for a good snarky character. Also, I hate it when books are predictable and the fact that you found it unpredictable at times just got me even more intrigued. It's been on my TBR list for quite some time and now it just raised higher in the list of book I need to check out soon:) Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, Vivian! x

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to start this one. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like sarcastic characters and I think time travel can be nice - if it's not too hard to understand. Sometimes, books about time travel can really make my head spin. I saw this book a while ago on a lot of blogs and I will read it, but not any time soon. There are already so many books waiting for me :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I loved this book! The sequel is so different, being from someone else's POV, but I enjoyed it as well. I think Emerson's sarcasm is what I loved best about her. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!