Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

March 14, 2013

"Unearthly" by Cynthia Hand


[Clickey the cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Unearthly (Unearthly#1)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publication: 2009, Simon Pulse
Summary: In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . 
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.....read more

Review: Compelling, realistic, and romantic is Ms. Hand's new take on the angelic world of YA paranormal. The term "unearthly" plays a uniting theme throughout the book, stringing together a resonating perspective of the characters. This books excels in transporting readers into the idea of Cynthia Hand's "angel-bloods" who have life-changing purposes that plague them through visions and dreams. In addition, there are dark touches of sorrow and antagonistic elements to this first book that effectively draws the story into newer depths. Thus, I am happy to say that the typical "fluff" of a YA angel book is absent from "Unearthly". 

The world of "Unearthly" itself is a real-life setting to contrast the paranormal aspect, resulting in a more believable balance which was great. Ms. Hand does use the locations of her story to the advantage of the plot, however, and there are plenty of vivid descriptions of the surroundings. It was like sight-seeing at times, so I found it really enjoyable!

"Unearthly"'s leading lady is a strikingly ordinary yet at the same time, outstanding, girl. Clara is a "Quartarius" angel-blood, meaning she possesses one-quarter of angel blood in her veins. She is resolved and brave, especially when faced with the love and the dangers that being an angel-blood brings. We also meet two extremely charming boys, Christian and Tucker, who are both very near-stereotypical but definitely more than so. They are at opposite ends of the boy-spectrum, yet fear not, because the triangle is not instant nor very apparent in this first installment. Adorable relationships blossom and thrive in "Unearthly" and Clara delivers her feelings through the author's diction full on. 

This book covers quite a broad time range, allowing breathing room for the fast pace that all equated down to an incredibly captivating and addicting read! With its intricately brought to life world, lovable characters, and powerful plot and drive, this angel read makes for a prominent new addition to the YA paranormal shelf. 


Rating: ✰✰✰✰ 4 Angelic Hoots

Final Notes: This was a great, very down-to-earth, angel read. For those of you who stray away from angel books due to the overt fluff, this would be a pick for you! I have already read book number two, and I can say that the trilogy does get even better, so it's not too late to dive in if you haven't read it yet! ^_~

Team Tucker, woot!

Thanks for reading!
Vivian

14 comments:

  1. Yay! So happy to see that you enjoyed this one so much, Vivian! I absolutely loved everything about this series and hopes that it continues to be a strong one for you. I agree that the vivid descriptions of the settings were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic! Thanks for dropping by, Jenni!

      Delete
  2. Team Tucker indeed! He is so sweet <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that the trilogy gets better. I have read this one way back and remember liking it, and the mc, but haven't continued for some reason.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually keep away from fluffy angels, so I may just give this a whirl :). Great review, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely review, Vivian! I also found this book extremely enjoyable. Although some characters may come across as stereotypical in other books, it's not the case in this amazing trilogy! Tucker is just swoonworthy, although I must say that Christian is very adorable as well. ;)

    So glad to see a new review in this blog! We're missing you, Vivi! <3 *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read it yet but it sounds like a great reading.
    Great review
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is strange.. Because I am a 100% sure that I commented on this post.

    I'm totally Team Tucker! *Booohs at Christian* Tucker is just so sweet and charming :D


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAH TEAM TUCKER! I've read two of the three books and I'm still on Team Tuck :) Glad that we're on the same side for this one, Mel! ^_^

      and oh! I have comment moderation turned on because I'm still getting LOTS of mean spam :( Sorry for the confusion!

      Delete
  8. "Down-to-earth" is such a great way to describe this book! Clara felt like such a normal and relatable girl. Sensible too, which is SO refreshing after some of the other YA love stories out there.

    I just got book 3 from the library and I feel so tortured about the love triangle right now! Not because it's awful, because it's good! I am seriously going to be devastated if either Christian or Tucker end up heartbroken. T__T

    Beautiful review, Vivi dear, I really miss reading them! I hope you get the next book soon. I'd love to hear what you think about the love triangle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A love triangle?! Me intrigued!! I am such a sucker for love triangles these days!

    I'm glad you enjoyed this book and it varied from the conventional angel book. Even I was getting sick of the amount of books coming out with the same sort-of storylines!

    As always, amazing review! xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous cover! And it sounds like a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good, Vivi! I know I haven't been too active in the blogosphere as of late, but since I finally logged on to post a review, I had to come by your blog. As always, I love your writing style! :)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this book! Great review, Team Tucker <3

    Miss Perfection @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!